Saturday 31 December 2011

What is anichcham?


          Anichcham is a mythological flower mentioned in ancient Tamil literature. It is supposed to be so delicate that it withers even when smelled. I came across it in Thirukkural.
          I shall explain more about Thirukkural in my next post... This post is for all of you who learnt Thirukkural in school and didn't follow up on what was NOT taught. :)
          Here is a selection of my favourite kurals about love & longing. Thirukkural has an entire section titled "Kamathupaal" - quite literally the book of desire. Classical Tamil poetry, like its temple sculptures, is subtly sensuous. Very rarely is it in-your-face erotic. Here are a few of my favourites, they range from tender to passionate, mischievous to heart-broken. Straightforward literal translations simply do not convey the beauty of the kurals, so I'm just providing an explanation in English for each kural. 

Kural 1091:
இருநோக்கு இவளுண்கண் உள்ளது ஒருநோக்கு
நோய்நோக்கொன் றந்நோய் மருந்து.



Her two liquid eyes affect me in two very different ways.
The glance of one eye afflicts me with pain,
While the glance of the other eye provides the cure. 

Kural 1094:
யான்நோக்கும் காலை நிலன்நோக்கும் நோக்காக்கால்
தான்நோக்கி மெல்ல நகும்.

When I look at her, she timidly bends her head and looks at the ground,
But when she thinks I am not looking at her, she steals a glance at me and smiles softly to herself.

Kural 1104:
நீங்கின் தெறூஉம் குறுகுங்கால் தண்ணென்னும்
தீயாண்டுப் பெற்றாள் இவள்.



How is she able to contain this wondrous fire within herself?
It burns me when I withdraw from her,
But soothes me when I embrace her.

Kural 1110:
அறிதோறு அறியாமை கண்டற்றால் காமம்
செறிதோறும் சேயிழை மாட்டு.

The more one learns, the more one realizes the gaps in his knowledge.
The more I get to know her, the more I thirst to understand the depths of her secret soul.

Kural 1113:
முறிமேனி முத்தம் முறுவல் வெறிநாற்றம்
வேலுண்கண் வேய்த்தோ ளவட்கு.

Her shoulders are as delicate as a bamboo shoot
Her body is just ripe and her complexion, pure
Her fragrance is intoxicating and her teeth look like pearls.
Her sharp eyes, however, cut through me like a lance!

Kural 1121:
பாலொடு தேன்கலந் தற்றே பணிமொழி
வாலெயிறு ஊறிய நீர்.

While her voice is soft and musical,
Her wet mouth tastes sweeter than a mixture of milk and honey!


Kural 1134:
காமக் கடும்புனல் உய்க்கும் நாணொடு
நல்லாண்மை என்னும் புணை.

A man's self-control and a woman's modesty are but flimsy rafts in the sea of love. They do not stand a chance when the storm of desire approaches.

Kural 1171:
கண்தாம் கலுழ்வ தெவன்கொலோ தண்டாநோய்
தாம்காட்ட யாம்கண் டது.

These eyes that caused me to fall in love and experience such pain,
Now why do they weep with longing?

Kural 1218:
துஞ்சுங்கால் தோள்மேலர் ஆகி விழிக்குங்கால்
நெஞ்சத்தர் ஆவர் விரைந்து.

When I am asleep, I dream that he is resting his head on my shoulder,
And when I wake up, he slithers down into my heart.

Kural 1226:
மாலைநோய் செய்தல் மணந்தார் அகலாத
காலை அறிந்த திலேன்.

Now that I have experienced separation from my beloved,
I understand what cruel pangs the twilight hour is capable of afflicting.

Kural 1273:
மணியில் திகழ்தரு நூல்போல் மடந்தை
அணியில் திகழ்வதொன்று உண்டு.

Like the unseen thread holding together a string of pearls,
There is a secret in her beauty that is playing hide-n-seek with me. 

Kural 1280:
பெண்ணினால் பெண்மை உடைத்தென்ப கண்ணினால்
காமநோய் சொல்லி இரவு.

Never is her femininity more pronounced
Than when her eyes are unafraid to show the lust and longing plaguing her. 

Kural 1274:
முகைமொக்குள் உள்ளது நாற்றம்போல் பேதை
நகைமொக்குள் உள்ளதொன் றுண்டு.

Like the fragrance hiding inside a bud yet to blossom,
A secret is hiding within her close-lipped smile

Kural 1290:
கண்ணின் துனித்தே கலங்கினாள் புல்லுதல்
என்னினும் தான்விதுப் புற்று.

Her eyes shone with anger,
But when we made love, her passion exceeded mine.

Kural 1293:
கெட்டார்க்கு நட்டார்இல் என்பதோ நெஞ்சேநீ
பெட்டாங்கு அவர்பின் செலல்.

It is true that the despairing are abandoned by those around them.
Why else would my heart leave me in this pitiable state and follow him?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful job Kama Doctor! Nee than nejamana 'tamil culture' patti engalaukku solli thara.I never knew Thirukural had love verses :)

    ReplyDelete